Sunday, November 15, 2009

Moire

I have chosen to return to my original moire diagram due to its ability to produce the condition I am looking for in my thesis: "production of the other."

I simultaneously explored the moire in the third dimensions both physically and digitally.  The digital results is the 2D vector diagram:


Moire Diagram

The physical exploration is the 3D model.  I cut a series of plates (17 total) with circles creating a solid and void condition for each plate.  In order to keep  the variables simple I am using the same pattern for each "plate" in my model.  The moire condition should be formed due to the human eye seeing in perspective.  With the completion of the model diagram, I found this to be true.  The model was also left flexible so I can slide the plates in relation to each other in order to create different conditions and relationships.  This flexibility also allows for the addition of different patterned plates to show how that effects the moire.  The unfortunate part is that the complexity of the model cannot be captured by a camera.  This is also why the digital model I built did not display the types of complexity the physical model does.  I am glad I pushed beyond the test digital model into the physical.


overall model




overall model




close up




close up

The 3D moire is different to work with than the 2D.  Because it isn't a flattened condition it adds a level of complexity in maintaining its condition as well as introducing simplicity, by being able to produce the desired condition with the use of the same repeated element.  Breaking this repetition with the use of a different plate pattern changes the moire but at the same time starts to reduce its complexity.  The eye starts to read the secondary system which gives it a degree of separation.  Is this separation still a both~and condition?  I think I would need to introduce more plates of the second patterns in order to answer this question.  I am also curious of the results of reversing the solid and void in the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment