Monday, February 15, 2010

Effect vs Process Review

The work I posted under "Wave Interference" was presented for the first review of the semester.  I looked at this work as a break through of sorts because I was struggling to get the moire to work beyond its illustrative natural.  For this review I changed the way I framed my work and focused less on the results and more on the process.  Through this development I saw the projects ability to be something beyond a facade treatment.  It started allowing me to question the relationships between programs, interior versus exterior, enclosure versus structure, and solid versus void.  I could start to see relationships as forms of interference.  The Both~And condition may be about interference.  For this study I used wave interference but what other entities could be used for interference? 

This leads into "inhabiting the inbetween."  It becomes about experience not just form especially when used at multiple scales within the architecture.

During the review I committed myself to the exploration of one specific duality: INTERIOR VS EXTERIOR or INSIDE VS OUTSIDE.  This duality seems to be one of the more contemporary architectural condition.  For the rest of my thesis process I will seek to achieve inside~outside ambiguity.  Before this point I was attempting to do one of two things, one look for a process that somehow reveals an ambiguous condition of certain dualities, without predetermining those dualities.  Or I was attempting to use certain dualities to create ambiguous conditions for things outside of the duality.  Both these approaches showed my inability to commit to the specific.  I have now committed myself to the exploration of one single duality which will allow the work to be developed further and deeper than maintaining my previous vagueness. 

In exploring one duality I will develop specific techniques and operating conditions that allow me to formulate the genetics I need to operate and exploit this duality.  I will have a system to use for testing to understand what the inside~outside condition is all about.  One way to do this is to break assumptions such as the" need for seal" that is dominate in most architecture (especially of the Northeast region.)  The brings the questions of performance and the envelope. 

I have started looking at Japanese architecture, specifically Kengo Kuma whose philosophy is to "erase" architecture.  Through looking at his works I am learning the importance of material investigations and control, transparency, and the horizontal plane. 

This thesis will start to incorporate the concept of transparency, which is a loaded word in architecture.  I may find myself needing to "invent" my own transparency in order to fully realizing the goal of my thesis: ambiguous space between the interior and exterior.  I now need to develop the "game board" and in the process find the appropriate vehicle, context and program needed to explore this type of ambiguity & transparency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment