Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Charrette

After the completion of our final Methods book and website we embarked on an intense charrette to jumpstart our design process with a "making as method for research (not representation)" for our final projects.  The assignment laid out for us was to develop a vector, generative diagram based on our specific thesis subject.

Through the development of my Methods book (all content in book is included on website) I discovered how others have approached, dealt with, explored, etc the "both~and" condition or dualities in architecture.  Peter Eisenman seeks to achieve an interstitial condition through the process of combining two systemmatic diagrams: one diagram is project dependent and includes the program and context for the project, while the other diagram is not architecturally specific.  He creates a dialogue between the two diagrams to formulate his architecture.  Others, such as Jeffrey Kipnia, looks at design approaches as dualities that can yield the same result.

I approached my generative diagram by attempting to set up two very basic systems with basic rules in order to create something more complex.  This relates to my criteria and I was attempting to understand what processes and design investigations may yield the results listed in my criteria.  I started with a grid of lines labeled alternately "even" and "odd."  At each line intersection I placed a circle and labeled each circle as "even-even," "odd-odd," "even-odd," or "odd-even" dependent on what lines intersected its center.  I used this initial layout as a starting point for a variety of manipulations.  Shifts included: scale, line weight, color, rotation.

Examples: (click on image for larger view)


Figure 1A: Shifting Scale from Center:


Figure 1B: Shifting Scale of 4 Grids starting each grid from a corner:



Figure 1C: Rotating each grid from center 30 degrees:



I choose to further develop Figure A by manipulating line weights and stroke color.

Iterations of Figure 1A:








 

Final iteration with varied line weight and stroke color:
 

Feedback ad Critique:
Successful at developing figures of density.  Symmetrical, however symmetry can be a productive tool when used as a way to break from symmetry for a performance aspect; this break can become a growth strategy.  Needs more discrete transformations, where each individual element is manipulated or effected independently to create more indeterminate behavior.  Successful at dealing with site (18" x 18" square canvas.)  High level of complexity.  Need to find another language or system to influence.  Technically, it is only one system rather than the two systems approach I was trying to experiment with. 

Second Diagram Development:

I went back and reworked my systems and rules.  I choose to continue with the grid of circles as one system in order to have a relationship to the first iterations as a way of contrasting.  My second system was a random topological map.  I overlaid the topo lines over the grid.  I then scaled each circle based on a a factor of how far its center was from the nearest topo line.  This provided a more discrete result.

Figure 2A: whole condition


 

Figure 2B: (limited to original 18 x 18 canvas)
 


Figure 2C: (line weights of large circles manipulated)











No comments:

Post a Comment